#100happydays

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 / Leave a Comment
Day 78: Honduras.


A year ago today, I visited Honduras for the first time.

The circumstances were amazing in how my sister Alexis and I could go with my Dad, two brothers and a group from our church. From passports to plane tickets, God provided and paved the way.

I had never experienced a place so very hot before, and would still think Honduras couldn't possibly be cool, except for being able to take another trip in February.  :) It felt insane to wake up in the night and have to rummage in my bag for a sweater...if only Alexis could see me now! On the first trip, Alexis, Andrea and I (Triple AAA), were the only girls, so we shared a small room with one oscillating fan. We were so grateful for the fan, and would sleep as close to the fan as seemed safe. Of course we couldn't check our phones for the latest weather, but later we found out the real feel was around 113' our whole trip. Water in those blue bags never tasted better, and the Coke! Best e.v.e.r!

When we came back ten days later, it was hard to explain all the feelings I felt and even harder to have people understand the deep love I felt from the people and how they had touched my life.

It's such a gift to be able to pray and lift before our Father anyone we want to, at any time, anywhere we are, wherever they are...asking His protection, His blessings and His presence to be real in their life. So many times I'll be washing dishes and I'll think of the ladies we met, and the laughter we shared in their kitchens...and I can pray for them. Our family will get to sharing funny Honduras stories around the dinner table...and in our hearts, we bless them and pray for them. When it's storming and my family runs from our van to our open church doors for church, my mind wanders to the special services we had under large tents in the pouring rain, and how many people were there, and had walked in the rain to attend...I pray for them.

Alexis kept a journal on the Ipod our whole trip...she let me share a few entries...
This blog is a journal of sorts, so this post may seem long or wordy to you...but it's a small piece of my life that I am truly thankful to the Lord for...

Here is a link to the video.

(Alexis)
" Tonight is Tuesday night...we spent the day with Pastor Alfonso and little Gabriella in their community...

I forgot to send you pics of our plane trip! 16 of us ending up squeezing in the van...Our bags were strapped on to the top until we had to stop and hold all of our luggage on our laps because it started raining! We couldn't have asked The Lord for a more perfect van...it has windows all the way around that open! It's narrow and perfect for maneuvering the narrow streets here...I think of our cousin Ronald when he said "what a blessing!!

Tonight is Wednesday night...actually early morning 1:51...I laugh at what I wrote earlier about 16 people cramming in the van! Tonight we picked up people that wanted to come to church and 22 people squashed into our van! It really was an amazing feeling seeing these people excited with us...they knew that we couldn't speak their language...but the amazing love that flows from a loving hand clasp, a tight squeeze and the one most common phrase "que dios de ben diga"!





The four of us sang amazing grace last night...of course in English! And then they wanted us to sing again tonight! So Anita Paul and I sang Take My Life and Let it Be...If only we could have sung in Spanish!

Anita and I are sooooo thankful for the backpacks that Ms Cynthia gave to us! We have used them every day! They are the perfect lightweight bags to carry around! We have been able to put bunnies and dresses in them...



We have just been to a family's house to pray...we had to take a little hike...and cross a small creek...everyone receives us with such kindness and love...



We have visited so many people that have nothing...it's so convicting to me who has so much...so much everyday to thank The Lord for...and yet sometimes I find it hard to think of something to thank The Lord for...
 


Our amazing van...it has become the church bus while we've been here! I couldn't have pictured it before if I hadn't seen it for myself, but the scene of walking out of church (with no roof) with 70-75 other people...and see no cars. They walked.



This is the home of a sweet family that came all three nights of meetings...the father came the first night by himself...he heard us sing amazing grace the first night...he went  home and told his wife all about the meeting...they walked in the rain as a family to church the next night. They were 4 of the 22 people that rode in our van from then on...
The father understands and speaks amazing English through an amazing story that I can't wait for daddy to tell you when we get home...maybe The Lord wanted us to sing for this one man...



Pastor Alfonso called all of us up to the front and prayed a blessing on us...the pianist sang a simple sweet melody as he prayed...
"gracia, gracia, Señor
Gracia me Señor Jesus"




Today is the last day here in Honduras...

You know how I couldn't believe that we were actually going to Honduras?...in some ways it still seems surreal that we are here...and that our time here for the present, is coming to end.

We are coming home with Pastor Alfonso in our mind, walking us home each night from his house to ours...the night air filled with smoke from all the garbage-fires that burn at night...
Thoughts of praying for a girl in english...a girl  my age, who's experienced such hurt and grief that I can't even imagine it...
Seeing Jolio crawling out to greet us on his hands and knees in the dirt...so much like our Santi, that it broke my heart.




...I want to be able to share everything with you so that you can experience all that we have...but I can't wait till you can come here for yourself...just like Ben said. 









0 Encouraging Words:

Post a Comment

Leave a note!

Back to Top