When life changes...

Sunday, April 2, 2017 / 4 comments
My grandfather is going to celebrate his 82nd birthday this month...

He has always been youthful and full of life....always sharp and ready to talk and tell stories from his Air Force days or the latest escapades and charades with my grandmother at Big Lots or the Flea Market.  :) We had pizza day once a week at our house, and coffee in the afternoon with gingersnaps...this was normal for our family, and seemed like it would just, well, always be.

That is why my grandfather's diagnosis of Alzheimers really took us by surprise. And not only the diagnosis, but the rapid decline and how fast it would all happen. We are now caring for him 24/7. All of us siblings and my parents take turns spending the night and days helping to care for him.

This has definitely changed our everyday lives, and we are learning so much about how to be there for someone who doesn't always know who you are or doesn't want to eat because he can't wrap his brain around what it even is on his plate. What gets really interesting is when Abuelo speaks only in Spanish, or like today, French! So many things from his past just come to his mind, and it keeps us laughing and on our toes as we try and keep up the conversation. I have to say, some days are super hard, but God is always faithful in every circumstance. This is a chapter in life that our family definitely needs grace and strength to walk through....something I wouldn't have asked for, but something that the Lord is using to grow me and show Himself to me.

 "In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
 Trust in Him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before Him: God is a refuge for us. Selah." 
Psalm 62:7--8

4 comments:

  1. Praying that Jesus encourages and bless you in a amazing way. Love you all... Kierin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for y'all...we love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It makes us feel so loved just knowing that so many care and are praying for us during this time. Love you and hope the canoe race went well!

      Delete

Leave a note!

Back to Top